One of the good things about Linux is that it comes in many different distributions, so we’ve compiled a list of the best Linux distros to suit your preferences. Whether you just want to try an alternative operating system or you are an expert user, there is a Linux distribution for you. (Updated 27/10/2013)
- Best Linux for beginners: Linux Mint. Mint is a Linux distro based on Ubuntu that comes with some user-friendly enhancements. These include the default theme, the default software, the update manager and the media codecs that come with the installation. It is a perfect choice for someone who is used to Windows and wants to try Linux. Alternative: Mageia
- Best Linux for expert users: Arch. Arch Linux is a distro intended for advanced users. Installation is more complex than other choices, but you get great customization and an operating system that is fast and built to your needs. If you want to learn more about Linux and have the time to go through all the custom settings, then Arch is the best choice. Alternative: Fedora
- Best Linux for servers: CentOS. Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, this is a solid distribution for your server. Alternative: Debian
- Best LiveCD Linux for solving computer problems: SystemRescueCD. SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. . Alternative: Finnix
- Best Linux security distro: Kali Linux. Kali Linux is the successor to BackTrack. It is a Linux distribution aimed at security and penetration testing. It comes with a wide selection of tools for penetration testing, forensic analysis and more. Alternative: DEFT
- Best Linux distro for multimedia: Ubuntu Studio. Ubuntu Studio is designed for audio, graphics and video production. Install it and you are ready to start creating multimedia. Alternative: ArtistX
- Best lightweight Linux: Puppy Linux. Puppy is small, the live-CD typically being 85MB, yet there really is a complete set of GUI applications. Being so small, Puppy usually loads completely into RAM, which accounts for the incredible speed. Try this for your old hardware and you won’t be dissapointed. Alternative: Crunchbang
- Best Linux distro for online privacy: Liberte Linux. This is live linux distribution based on Gentoo that is secure, lightweight and easy to use. It uses Tor for anonymous network communication and has features such as persistent storage on a virtual partition, Netfilter IP firewall and more. Alternative: TAILS. Check also some other anonymous live distros.
- Best Linux distribution for children: Edubuntu. An educational oriented OS for kids of all ages. Includes software such as GCompris. Alternative: Foresight for kids
- Best Linux distribution for scientific computing: Scientific Linux.
Finally, our recommendation of the month is: Manjaro. Based on Arch but with extra features.
These are what we consider as the best Linux distributions. Choose according to your preferences and have fun exploring the world of Linux!